Trip to Macau Day 3

egg tart, panda, venetian, coloane town

Our 3rd day in Macau. This time I’ll just combine 2 parts together rather than separate them which would be more convenient for readers. Today we’ll be travelling around Taipa (Tam Tsai in Chinese) which better known as food street with some of the famous road such as Rua do Cunha, Rua Correia da Silva, Rua Direita Carlos Eugénio, and Rua do Regedor. Then visit Macau’s panda, and stepping into Macau’s Venetian Casino then heading back to Taipa for some souvenir shopping to wrap up our day

BREAKFAST IN TAIPA

Cafe Vong Kei, Rua do Cunha, Macau Polo bun, egg sandwich and ham with egg noodle

The bus drop us on Rua Correia da Silva. As it was still early (9am), most of the shop were still close, immediately we were greeted by the aroma of freshly baked breads from Cafe Vong Kei.

We ordered some freshly baked polo buns even before we get a seat, it was still hot when served, the outer crust was so crunchy and sweet while the inside stuffing were filled with creamy margarine. We also ordered polo bun, egg sandwich, egg with ham noodle and a milk tea.

The egg sandwich tasted normal, same goes to the egg + ham instant noodle. I guess these both were just standard taste which appear almost the same in other cafe.

Address:

Cafe Vong Kei

Rua Correia Da Silva,
Villa de Taipa, Macau

Recommendation:

Polo bun, Milk Tea, Egg with ham sandwich and few other bread
Price: MOP8 to MOP17

Google Map here

Macau’s Giant Panda Pavillion

Group photo inside Panda Museum entrace ticket and panda logo Kai Kai the panda still in deep sleep...

Opening Hours:

Macau Giant Panda Pavilion

10am to 1pm, 2pm to 5pm
(last admission until 4:45 p.m.).
Closed on Mondays

Venue:

Seac Pai Van Park
Admission: MOP10
Enquiries: (853) 2833 7676

From Taipan we head over to visit Kai Kai and Xin Xin in Macau’s Giant Panda Pavillion which located in Seak Pai Van, Coloane.

Kai Kai & Xin Xin were not the only attraction here, there were few other animals like peacock, ostrich, monkeys, and few other to list. There even interactive display like guides, games, and introduction to panda.

If you’re bringing kids along, this could be one of the must visit place to consider. The place were quite big to explore, so I won’t go too much here :)

Take some photos in Macau Giant Panda Pavillion

Lord Stow’s Egg Tart

Lord Stow's bakery shoplot exterior view Lord Stow's Portguese Egg tarts in box of 6 pcs Inside Lord Stow's bakery shop divider divider

We took a walk in Coloane Town Square, most villagers were taking rest, and the street remain calm and peaceful. We didn’t stay long here as we still have a bus to catch.

From Giant Panda Pavillion, we took bus and head over to Coloane Town Square, Coloane Island which is not quite far away to have a taste of one of the MUST TRY food in Macau, the famous Lord Stow’s Portuguese Egg Tart created by Sir Andrew Stows (dubbed as Lord Stow). He’s not a Portuguese or Macanese, but he’s an Englishmen who initiated to import European baking for locals to make decent bread. From there he started to develope his own version of Portuguese Egg Tart by merging English-influenced fillings.

The bakery is noticeable from the bus stop, just a minute of walk and you can smell the aroma of freshly baked egg tarts together with other breads. You can feel the flaky crust in every bite while the smooth and silky custards melt in your tongue slowly.

Lord Stow’s Bakery & Cafe is now opened inside The Venetian Macau Resort & Hotel, International Library Cafe in
University of Macau, and Rua Da Cordoria, Coloane Village.

Address:

Lord Stow’s Baker

1 Rua Do Tassara, Coloane Town Square, Macau

Business hours: 7am-10pm, everyday
Tel: (853) 28882534

Website: www.lordstow.com

Each tart cost MOP 8
A box of 6 pcs is MOP 45

Google Map here

The Venetian Macao

Exterior view of The Venetian hotel in Macau logo of The Venetian Macau, interior view of wall paintings

From Coloane Village, we took bus and head back to Taipan to end our day we decided to drop by in The Venetian Hotel & Resort. It was an astonishing architecture. The painting on wall and ceiling painting was pretty impressive and grand.

It was well worth to drop a visit, but if your budgets allowed, you could consider to take a rest and enjoy your time
shopping or have some food around. Back to our track, from The Venetian, we take a long walk back to Taipa while enjoying the cityscape view surrounding. At first, we were slightly confused with the tourist map which keep mentioning bus availability which can take us back to Taipa. However, most of the bus stop seems didn’t have the short route, so, we decided to ask around.

To our luck, we managed to ask a girl (she just finished work) and shows us the short cut back to Taipa within walking distance. Too bad we didn’t ask for her name or contact to thanks her again. After 10 minutes of walk we finally reach back Taipa.

Address:

The Venetian Macao Resort Hotel

Estrada da Baia de N. Senhora da Esperanca
s/n, Taipa, Macao SAR
Tel: (853) 2881-8888

Mok Yi Kei’s Gelatina

Mok Yi Kei's Mango Gelatina
Mok Yi Kei Gelatina shop and its offeringsFrom here we wrap up our day doing some souvenir shopping like casino token keychains, local famous architecture miniatures and etc. There were few shops selling variety of souvenirs way cheaper than any other place in Macau. So, makesure you leave some empty space in your bag before you come to Rua do Cunha :)

Note: If you’re planning to buy some souvenirs, be sure to check souvenir stores in Rua Do Cunha as they sell the same souvenirs (sold in most part of Macau) in cheaper price.

First thing to do here? Grab a cup of Mok Yi Kei’s gelatina. We bought a Durian Ice Cream and Mango gelatine which was highly recommended by our friends. The durian ice cream tasted not too sweet but full with durian aroma, while the mango gelatine was very nice, tasted not too sweet. They have a range of other products to choose from. So, be sure to check out Mok Yi Kei Gelatine located in Rua Do Cunha, Taipa.

Address:

Mok Yi Kei’s Gelatina

9, Rua do Cunha, Taipa.
Tel: +853 2882 5440

Opening Hours:
7.00am till 11.00pm (daily)

Recommendation:
Durian ice cream, mango gelatina
Price: MOP 10-14

List of attractions in Taipa

1. Cafe Tai Lei Loi Kei – the most famous pork chop bun in Rua Correia da Silva
  2. Pastelaria Fong Kei – famous for their almond with pork filling cookies
  3. O Santos Comida Portuguesa – recommended as the most authentic portuguese eateries
  4. Ginger candy – handmade ginger candy, taste will be adjusted based on season, opposite O Santos
  5. Mok Yi Kei Gelatina – famous for their durian ice cream, agar-agar puding,
  6. Restaurante Dumbo – serving Macanese-Portuguese food
  7. Cozinha Pinochhio – serving Macanese-Portuguese food
  8. Seng Cheong – famous with their crab porridge and octopus meat balls
  9. Souvenir shopping – the cheapest souvenir shops were all here, visit
  10. Antonio Restaurante – owned by Antonio Coelho, one of Macau’s best chef serving Portuguese food
  11. Amago – a small restaurant serving Macanese-Portuguese food
  12. Pastelaria Koi Kee – one of the most famous pastelaria shop in Macau
  13. Sunday Market – Opened on every Sunday, 11am till 10pm at Rua de Regedor
  14. Macau Giant Panda Pavillion – visit Kai Kai & Xin Xin the panda & other animals too
  15. Lord Stow’s Bakery – famous for his Portugese egg tarts
  16. The Venetian Hotel & Resort – one of the most popular casino worth visiting
  17. Taipa House Museum – an exellent place to witness living conditions of typical Portugese family

Okay, that’s it for now. Hope this would be useful for those who plan their trip to Macau. See you again in the next post. For any questions, comments or critics, please few free to leave your comment using the form below.

Visit my previous post:

1. Macau Day 1 Part 1
  2. Macau Day 1 Part 2
  3. Macau Day 2 Part 1
  4. Macau Day 2 Part 2

Comments

• what are vitamins says:
    April 3, 2012 at 1:09 am

Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was looking for!

• how to study says:
    April 17, 2012 at 5:47 pm

This article has inspired me to carry on focusing on my own blog

• drug rehab baltimore says:
    June 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I like this blog very much, Its a rattling nice place to read and get info .

• drug rehab northern california says:
    June 18, 2012 at 12:33 am

I love reading and I think this website got some really utilitarian stuff on it! .

• Linda Tay says:
    September 26, 2012 at 7:53 am

Hi,

Fantastic itinery and photos..that’s what im looking for… always thought Macau nothing much to offer…
    Btw, I’ve a question. Understand u commute alot via bus, how do you know what bus to take ?

Regards.
    Ling

• Jonath Lee says:
      September 27, 2012 at 1:09 am

Hi Linda, Macau still have quite an amount of place to visit, nice food to try out too.
      For the bus guide, we always get the updated version from hotel lobby which is free for all tourist.
      Besides, each bus stop provides the routes of each bus and its stops. And people in Macau were so friendly so, it’s way more easier to ask them 🙂

• Phing Phing says:
    November 11, 2012 at 8:21 am

I am doing research on how to spend my two days in Macau and what to eat there and this post provides all the information I needed. I think I will visit Antonios Restaurant Macau, afterall it’s a Michelin-star restaurant and definitely try out the egg tarts from Lord Stow. Thanks for the post!

• Jonath Lee says:
      November 11, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hi Phing Phing, thanks for visiting. Great choice to visit San Antonios Restaurant. I was informed that they only start biz from 12pm which great for lunch. May be you can tour around in the morning and plan for your lunch at Antonios in Old Taipa village. Enjoy your trip 🙂

• Yen says:
    November 14, 2012 at 4:30 am

Hi. Nice write-up on the food in Macau. I m gg next mth. May I know is it better to use macau currency or change hk dollar?
    Thanks

• Jonath Lee says:
      November 14, 2012 at 6:07 am

Hi Yen, Thanks for visiting.

I recommend you to use Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), below are some points;
      • HK$100 = MOP$103 it’s a fixed rate
      • HKD preferred currency major casinos
      • MPO hardly can be changed to other currency outside of Macau (even HK), so do not left any MPO before you left Macau
      • If you’re on tight budget, and would be spending a lot in Macau, then I suggest you to change to MPO

• yen says:
    November 16, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks for your fast reply, i will follow your advice and change HKD.

• Jonath Lee says:
      November 16, 2012 at 9:12 am

You’re welcome. Have a wonderful trip ahead 🙂

• Shirley says:
    December 29, 2012 at 1:02 am

Hi,

Great blog on your Macau trip. I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions that I have :-

1) Coming in for a day trip to Macau – which terminal is it better to stop at i.e. Taipa Ferry Terminal or the Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal?

2) Is it right that there are 2 main places to head to i.e. Taipa and Peninsula for tourist attractions and food?

3) How best do I get to these places? By taxi or bus (and what number?

Thanking you in advance

• Jonath Lee says:
      January 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Hi Shirley, thanks for dropping by.
      1) Sorry, I’m not sure with which terminal to suggest, however.
      Visiting casinos and city : go for Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal
      Visiting local life style, getting near to Panda Pavillion: go to Taipa Ferry Terminal
      2) Yea, Taipa famous with the original Portuguese Egg Tarts, Coloane Town Square have some great local Portuguese Food, while Peninsula > Margaret’s Cafe e Nata and etc
      3) If you’re heading over for a day trip, I recommend you to go via Taxi (not under tight budget), while for Bus guide kindly refer to

Hope this helps.

• Val Obsines says:
    January 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Hi Jonath! Im impressed of how you do your blog.
    Just a few questions though, ill be staying in Macau for a whole day and will stay overnight.
    Can you plot me an itinerary for my Day tour based on what’s must see in Macau?
    I dont want to miss The Ruins, the fisherman’s, panda pavillion ( since im bringing along my 4 yr old kid) wynn, and the venetian macao

• Jonath Lee says:
      January 26, 2013 at 5:40 am

Hi Val,
      If you’re staying a day, I suggest the below;
      1. Fisherman’s Wharf,
      2. Lotus Flower Statue (just opposite the Fisherman Wharf)
      3. Panda Pavillion could be far, you may need to check with some taxi driver as well.
      4. Wynn or MGM Casino
      5. During late afternoon back to The Ruins, dinner is not an issue there as well as picking up souvenirs

• Caroline says:
    February 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Hello I am trying to get contact information for the town of Coloane. I would like information about the plants and natural areas . I would appreciate any help you my be able to offer.

• Evon Liew says:
    May 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

I am doing reaserch now to planning go to macau and hong kong within 3 days by august 2013. According to your recommendation as above quite interesting for me.

Could your provide more information and advise us. If we going this trip hotel staying at macau or hong kong? which one is suitable and bettre for us.

• Jonath Lee says:
      May 9, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hi Evon,

Sorry for the late reply, you’re going to Hong Kong + Macau for a 3 days trip?
      Depends on your major interest. Hong Kong is a shopping heaven, + disney land and some sight seeing, this may take 2 days.
      As for Macau, main attraction were as some of posted here, Panda Pavillion may not be your priority as I afraid it is far away from other attraction like the Ruins of St. Paul’s which is a must visit.
      Let me know your further details may be I can share some of my opinion 🙂

• Jia Hao says:
    May 21, 2013 at 5:14 am

Hi there,

I am currently planning for a 2D trips in Macau. Was just wondering whether will it be enough as we really want to munch all the way there! And would we spend like alot of time travelling from places if we gonna take the public transports? Please advised on a possible itinerary too!Greatly appreciate for your help!

• Jonath Lee says:
      May 21, 2013 at 6:54 am

Hi Jia Hao,

Depends on what you intended to explore.

Day 1: Historical and major attraction visitation
      Breakfast either Dim Sum in Casa De Cha Long Wa or MARGARET’S CAFE e NATA
      Senado Square > Ruins of St. Paul > Mount Fortress and Museum of Macau > Monte Fort

Day 2: Recommended
      You can go to Taipa/Coloane (Antonio Restaurant is famous there) > Taipa House Museum > Eat pork chop bun (Café Tai Lei Loi Kei) & milk tea or Seng Cheong Crab Porridge > City of Dreams

• Shabeer says:
    June 4, 2013 at 3:58 am

Hi Jonatha Lee,

Really nice blog with awesome description and pictures.. Mind accepting my trackback to my blog.
    This blog really helped to plan my Macau vacation. I am visiting Macau and HK next month.

thx a lot.

• Jonath Lee says:
      June 4, 2013 at 4:05 am

Hi Shabeer,

Feel free to do so and have a wonderful trip 🙂

• Shirley says:
    June 16, 2013 at 5:33 am

Hi Jonath,

Impressed with the itinerary you shared. It’s really a good help to me! 🙂 Am planning a trip to Macau+HK in Dec 2013. this is the 2nd trip for my little family of 3. We went Ruins of St Pauls and nearby attractions, would like to seek for ur opinion for another diff trip. We reach Macau at 4.40pm, 2 nites, and 3rd morning will be leaving to HK.

• Jonath Lee says:
      June 18, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Hi Shirley,

Since you’ve been to St Paul Ruins area, perhaps you could consider travel around Taipa anjd Coloane.
      Visiting the original Lord Stow’s Bakery – famous for his Portugese egg tarts, Panda Pavillion, trying out Mok Yi Kei Gelatina, Goon Ya Kai for pastries.

• Shabeer says:
    June 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Here is the link f my blog , which i would like to get a track back from this blogpost.
    Thx in advance

• Perrin says:
    November 10, 2013 at 2:56 am

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog while doing my own research for my upcoming trip to Macau. Thanks for sharing! Definitely useful for my planning! 🙂

• Yanyan says:
    April 22, 2014 at 1:09 am

wow! I stumbled upon your blog and I have screened through all your comments to make my itinerary. This is so great! Thanks so much for all the information. Well done.

• Jonath Lee says:
      May 30, 2014 at 1:38 am

Glad you found something helpful for your trip 🙂

Enjoy 🙂

• Judy says:
    July 27, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Hi! stumbled upon your blog while researching for macau. From the bus stop (from coloane going to the Venetian), how many minutes walk will it take to get to the Venetian Hotel? can you give me tips? 🙂 And how much time should I spend in Coloane Village? Thanks!

• Ann says:
    September 25, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hi! Is this a feasible itinerary for day trip to Macau? We arrive at 10am from HK and have a 10pm flight in macau airport the same day..
    These are the places we want to visit:

1) The Venetian
    2) Macau Tower
    3) MJ Gallery
    4) Ruins of St. Paul
    5) Senado Square
    6) Grand Lisboa
    7) Wynn Hotel
    8) City of Dreams

• Steph says:
    September 25, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Hi, from Taipa village, how did you go to Panda pavillion? Did you just walk or you took a bus? Thanks!

Great blog btw! 🙂